2022 Heavy Haul Session
RBM Frogs: Design Features, Field Testing & Maintenance
Advanced Rail Management Corp.
This presentation covers important aspects of RBM (rail-bound manganese) frogs.
- Design features are described, including point slope, heavy point & standard point, various heel configurations, conformal & flat top profiles, and wing slope.
- Results from joint TTCI/NS revenue service testing are presented, including a comparison of heavy point vs. standard point, rubber pads vs. none, conformal profile vs. flat top profile, the performance of various heel configurations, and the performance of longitudinal wing slopes.
- Wheel transition between frog point and wing is illustrated for several different wheel profiles.
- Installation instructions for heavy point frogs are given.
- Finally, maintenance advice for welding and grinding RBM frogs is presented.